Friday, July 9, 2010

Bittersweet Double Chocolate Brownies

I know I promised SoldierDiva something Cookie Monster theme. Unfortunately, I'm a little tight on budget, but I had to make something because I missed her so. Though, I AM hanging tightly by a very thin thread on this one because it's bittersweet while Kristine's got quite the sweet tooth based on my past creations. Do you like bittersweet anything??

It's Double Chocolate Brownies! I really enjoyed baking these since I've always baked them brownie-mix-in-a-box for potluck Christmas parties. Shhh!

In addition [I feel like I'm back in that examination hall writing essays], this recipe has minimal ingredients - definitely something you can whip up without worrying whether or not you've got the right ingredients in your kitchen cabinets, as well as the easiest clean up job since I didn't need to use the electric beaters, which are quite a hassle to clean. I washed all my pots and pans well before the brownies were done.


Double Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

80g butter
40g unsweetened cocoa powder
145g sugar
2 eggs
60g All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
100g chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 180oC(350oF)
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.
  3. Add the eggs, stirring to combine.
  4. Sift the flour, baking powder plus a pinch of salt into the saucepan. Stir to combine.
  5. Add the chocolate chips then stir to combine.
Spoon into a greased tin of your choice (8-inch square is best for this recipe) and smooth surface. Bake for 20 - 30 mins, or until a cake skewer comes out clean. Leave out on a wire rack to cool. 

When I took the pna out of the oven it made me whish I had only set the oven to 20 minutes or even 15 minutes instead of 25. The brownies are dense as steak is well done. I had hoped they'd be chocolatier

Even more so, I wish I had used milk chocolate chips instead of dark, hence their dark appearance and bittersweet taste.

They taste good nonetheless, or I'd like to think so because my little brother gave it an 8 out of 10 and he's got quite picky tastebuds. I've learnt, since I've started baking, that if he comes back for more, that means he likes it. If he eats one, shuts up and never touches them again, then it's back to the drawing board, or should I say kitchen counter, seeing as cutting board wouldn't exactly fit in this context either. With that being said, I'll trust him [he came back for 2 more], but I have yet to get a perfect 10 from him. The highest he's rated was a 9 out of 10 for some Lemon Squares I made last year - which my mother wasn't so ecstatic about [she thought they were too sweet]. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment