Monday, May 31, 2010

The Movie Junkie - The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time


Hong Kong's been having very lousy weather lately, but then again, when was the weather here not lousy anyway. And because of that the plan to spend time at Inspiration Lake then dinner at Modern Toilet with the family got changed to 4 tickets to see The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

I was looking forward to watching this after finding out that Jake Gyllenhaal was playing Dastan, all the more when I found out he had to wear a British accent. I was very much intrigued I have to say. I'm not a huge fan of Jake Gyllenhaal but I have something to thank him for; his performance in The Day After Tomorrow changed my perspective of movies. He lit the spark that set the fireworks off for my love for film.

If you're looking for a movie that's action-packed with abso-freakin'-lutely FANTABULOUS cinematography, but quite loose on the the plot. This is the one for you. The minute young Dastan scaled the rooftops of medieval Persia, I was gobsmacked, GOBSMACKED I tell you. Fast-paced with impressive camera skills, I'm thankful that it didn't give me a headache like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen did. The aerial shots of desert Morocco made me want to visit the beautiful country again. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the use of a green screen - or is it blue now - during some pan shots, such as the sand dunes.
 If you're looking for a substatial plot worth retelling to a friend who hasn't watched it yet so you can spoil their fun, forget it! I didn't like how the storyline clung too tightly on the dagger that could turn back time yet too loosely on the depth of the characters and the bond between the three princes. "They left out some parts." Glenn, my brother who happens to be a fan of the videogame, would whisper in my ear in the middle of a dialogue. I was afraid he'd say that, because that colon is threatening to release another title. A sequel is not welcome! Princess Tamina is alive plainly because the damned dagger can turn back time - so there I was a little disgruntled cause I didn't get a tragic ending. Another reason for me to fear that colon. Fortunately, Jake Gyllenhaal and Sir Ben Kingsley, wonderful actors as they are, brought at least - not enough though - some life into the characters. The other characters were rather flat and I blame the plotline.
On a brighter note, there was adequate comical relief amidst the sword-fighting, scaling rooftops and cascading down walls with notable quotes such as, "Did you know ostriches have suicidal tendencies?" and "You better get up there before I take your place" or something like that. You see, I've already forgotten the lines because the plot was so loosly written. I did like how the script was filled with sharp dialogue and doesn't drag.
I'll end with Jake's accent. It's not perfect, terrible in the beginning to be honest, but let's just say I hope he won't be wearing a British accent in his next project.
 Story: C+
Acting: B-
Direction: B-
Visuals: A+
Average: B
- Messer Girl

1 comment:

  1. hmm cinematography over storyline.. sounds just like The Hurt Locker. haha! anyway, I always thought Prince of Persia was going to be some sort of spoof thing because Jake G just looked ridiculous to me.. ah well. haha!

    Modern Toilet? HAHA I'd like to know what that's like. Go next sunday and tell me all about it when I get back heeeeee

    ReplyDelete