Monday, June 21, 2010

Cake Pop - One bite of heaven you'll be wanting more

Cake POP! Ok I'm lame but they are absolutely delightful and CUTE! The first time I came across a cake pop during my daily routes about the Internet I knew I just had to make them. I picked a devil's food cake recipe for the cake and picked up some non-temper chocolate at my local baking store plus a few candy sprinkles and went to work.

I would've taken a billion photos if my workstation wasn't in such a terrible clatter of pans, bowls, spatulas and whatnot. Besides, HAD I taken pictures, my camera would have ended up cake-ier than my cake pops, frosted and covered in chocolate.




Devil's Food Cake

Ingredients

165g All-Purpose flour
85g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
250g sugar
250mL buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g unsalted butter, softened
  1. Preheat the oven to 180oC(350oF)
  2. Sift your dry ingredients into a large bowl.
  3. Combine your liquid ingredients in another.
  4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
  5. Beat at low speed for about 3 minutes.
  6. Increase to high speed and beat until the mixture is lump-free
Spoon into a greased tin of your choice (8-inch round is best for this recipe) and smooth surface. Bake for 35 - 45 mins, or until a cake skewer comes out clean. Leave in cake tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

See the recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting here

As I was sifting tmy flour mixture, my mind ventured on the various cake mixing methods I've learnt, then right before I poured my liquid ingredients into the dry ones, it bore a striking resemblance to the instructions of that behind the box of a ready-made cake mix. The diffirence is this recipe gives a thick batter with the aroma that'll remind you of Rocky Road Ice Cream, while a cake-in-a-box just doesn't. It feels nice to know that the batter is made up of your own concoction so why buy a mix which costs more than plain ingredients put together.

This was the first time I've worked with chocolate and mind you, it took a huge amount of effort not to lick any of the chocolate that got onto my fingers nor the spoon. Not to mention I had to work quickly since the chocolate would start to harden within 30 mins. The finished ones that stood on my polystyrene board hardened within 15 because the living room was air-conditioned plus I had to be careful not to drop the balls. I had 5 pieces that failed to stick onto the popsicle stick. It was nonetheless fun, yet EXHAUSTING to make. I was up on my feet for 8 hours. It beat 3 hours of athletic training I had every saturday 2 years ago. I was so tired I had to get my brother to buy my dinner for me, i.e. McDonald's, take note of the french fry carton behind the pops. XD

- Messer Girl

2 comments:

  1. hahah! oh my gash and I dont get a taste of this? not fair. LOL.
    wow, so first time working with chocolate? odd to think that all that time you havent tried chocolate. you get the drift haha youknow it's almost a custom that every normal persons' first baking experience involves chocolate in one way or another :D (you are almost always the exception haha....or maybe I just always consider myself part of the norm)

    would LORVE to have some goodies when I get back.
    HINT HINT HINT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the former. I AM almost always the exception. Haha!
    And you will get to try it, hopefully I can find blue candy melts to make Cookie Monster.

    ReplyDelete