Monday, June 7, 2010

How come the bike still moves even when I'm not pedalling?

It is frustrating to look for something as small as a card reader. It is even more frustrating when you're trying to look for it in the middle of the night with your phone as a flashlight, hoping you won't wake up the entire house while you're dying to just turn the place upsidedown.

So we'll be going pictureless today. I figured I can just edit this later.

I gave up on trying to find that card reader and just bought another one for merely $30. It's got a Micro SD slot too. Double benefit. My brother and don't have to bicker at each other about who used the Micro SD adapter last since he uses it for his NDS while I use it for Quinn.

Finally went cycling with the family today. Hong Kong's weather agreed with us for once - the sun was up with a mild breeze, perfect for cycling. When you live in Hong Kong, it's hard to find things to do. Period. So when my dad and I thought of going cycling, we just had to do it. We've never done it before as a family, plus we could all kick off a few calories along the way.


My brother and I got singles while my parents got a tandem because my mother doesn't know how to ride a bicycle and the thought of renting a single with training wheels, "Ano ako? Bata!" (What am I? A Kid!") she retorted. I personally thought it was really sweet. I myself didn't know how to ride a bike until 4 years ago. One of my bestfriends had to teach me. Even then, I was such a chicken when it came to turning. It was only when I studied AL Physics I understood I had to tilt with the bike. Oy!

We also stopped for a while so my dad could change my gears because he noticed I was pedalling so much yet I was moving too slow. And there I was, gawking with so much interest when he was shifting it - not that I had the slightest idea about bicycle gears to begin with.
Moving on. Although cycling on a sunday was not the best idea - too much traffic on the lanes - we found a lane which was rather deserted where speeding up was neither too suicidal nor homicidal.
Speaking of speeding up, my brother asked one of the most adorable questions he's ever asked me after catching up to me, "How come the bike still moves even when I'm not pedalling?". It made me smile. I never dealt with curiosity the way he does. I was more of the "find out on your own" kinda kid - still am actually.
I think I might fall in love with cycling. Will probably scout for bikes now. Anybody know anyplace good and affordable? I wonder how much the foldable ones are...
 Oh there was also this mini fountain walkway that I simply couldn't resist taking a photo of.

- Messer Girl

4 comments:

  1. aww thats so sweet of your parents! and very cute that your mother doesn't know how to ride a bike! HAHA!
    btw where did you guys go biking?

    your brother is going to be a genius. haha! like you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rented the bikes at Shatin park then followed the lanes to Shek Mun then back

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a really good bike shop (my heaven) in Cheung Sha Wan called Flying Bike (I think). You can search it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coolios, will come around it when I find the time. Thank you darlin'.

    ReplyDelete