Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Movie Junkie - Shrek Forever After

 
Here comes the first dose of movie reviews this week. I actually watched this a week ago but I was preoccupied to post it so technically, this is overdue. Sorry. To add, I was kind of reluctant to review this because it's one part of a series. And with series, the latest installment is always compared to the previous ones. And let's face it, never before has any sequels topped the original. Likewise for Shrek IV so I really hope this will be the last installment otherwise it'll start annoying me like the Spiderman Trilogy.

A major thumbs up if you're going with the family and you have toddlers or pre-pre-pubescent kids or if you're an avid Shrek fan - I have yet to meet one. However, Shrek going through a midlife crisis and exchanges everything he has for a day of careless freedom in the shadow of his former self - come on, you couldn't get any more cliche than that.

A few things did come of notable interest.

Rumplestiltskin - the renowned characted by the Brothers Grimm - is by far the best Shrek antagonist ever. The Tooth Fairy and Prince Charming just irritated the bullocks out of me. I love how cunningly annoying he is - a little corny at some points but maniacal enough. I heard of him as a child but I never read the tale. I clung close to my Hans Christian Andersen tales.
Their Bounty Hunter is the Piper, who literally plays his pipe sending his targets dancing their way into oblivion. I think he's the most entertaining addition to the Shrek casts in all four movies put together.
Puss PAMPERED-AND-NOT-IN-BOOTS! For one, I hate cats. For two I love Antonio Banderas. So for three, number two prevails. It's usually Donkey who makes up most of the comic relief in Shrek movies but Puss in Boots was remarkably adorable, so it was Donkey's turn to be in the bleachers for a while.
To conclude, put this movie under "Family Flicks" with explanations ready for the inquisitive little ones.

Story:  C+
Acting: C
Direction: B
Visual: B
Average: B-

- Messer Girl

1 comment:

  1. I tried my best not to skim through the light spoilers haha! I really want to watch it, though after number 2 I kind of drifted off. It was getting boring for me. But anyway.
    I'm pretty sure this is the last of Shrek. But I have to say though, maybe we can just agree to disagree, but I LOVED the Spiderman trilogy hahahahahhah!

    ReplyDelete