Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes

I know I promised Cream Cheese Pound Cake, but I was in the mood to make cupcakes the minute I stumbled upon a picture of a Rainbow Cupcake last night. So I guess we'll be pushing the pound cake to next time.
And the thing about them is they're super easy to make. It's a simple white cake recipe which uses the creaming method, just go crazy with the colours. It just took me longer than supposed to getting the batter into the pan because I wanted the Red over the Yellow on top of the Green with Blue taking the bottom because I was trying to level them properly while my grandmother watching over my shoulder. She's quite the chef herself but she likes to stick to what she knows best. She makes the best Ube and Biko (two of many Filipino delicacies) in my opinion.


Then after about 18 minutes. Tada!


Isn't it adorable? I was afraid it'll turn out with lopsided layers, plus I felt I filled the pan too much. On another note, I've gotta get a different brand of RED food colouring, not one that give you PINK!

I'd show you the last cupcake made out of what was left of the batter that wasn't enough to make layers if my brother hadn't eaten eat before I could take a picture.

Meanwhile, this is the cakey-est recipe I've used so far and it's quite delightful actually. Cakey in the sense that it's moist and spongy. I'm thinking of making it my default recipe so I can practise on my decorating skills. So without further ado.

Rainbow Cake

Ingredients

300g All-purpose flour
6 tbs Cornstarch
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
150g unsalted butter
350g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups milk
  1. Preheat oven: 180oC (350oF) andgrease your muffin pan or line with parchment paper.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
  3. Add the eggs one by one, beating thoroughly after each addition.
  4. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.

    Set aside.

  5. Sift the flour together with the baking powder,salt and cornstarch. 
  6. Fold the flour mixture alternately with the milk into the batter.
  7. Separate the batter into 4 bowls and tint with colours of your choice
Spoon into tin in the order of your choice, smoothing the surface before adding the next layer. It help to have a bowl of water on the side to prevent the batter from sticking to your fingertips. Bake for 18 - 20 mins, or until a cake skewer comes out clean. Leave on a wire rack to cool. Or if you like that burning sensation on your tongue, be my guest and dig in. =D
 I'm thinking of buying plastic squeeze bottles if I make this next time, it'll be much less hassle trying to get levelled layers.

- Messer Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment