Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Movie Junkie - The Runaways

I finally got myself to watch The Runaways although it did take me 5 hours to watch all 109 minutes of it. Why? You may ask. Well, simply because Kristen Stewart has that effect on me. With the exception of Zathura, I have yet to sit all the way through a movie in which she stars in. Plus, I am very open about my hate for the girl.

When news that she was to play Joan Jett reached my ears, I was flabbergasted. FLABBERGASTED I tell you. I have so much respect for Joan Jett ever since I heard "I Love Rock & Roll" then discovered "Bad Reputation" and I wasn't ready for Kristen Stewart to be associated to her.

It took a hard mental kick and a whole day's worth of insatiable boredom to get me to watch it and now here I am to rip it to shreds.


Synopsis: The story of the groundbreaking '70s female rock group the Runaways is recounted in this River Road Entertainment production focusing on the duo of guitarist/vocalist Joan Jett (Kristen Stewart) and lead vocalist Cherie Currie (Dakota Fanning) as they navigate a rocky road of touring and record label woes under the malevolent eye of abusive manager Kim Fowley (Michael Shannon) during their teen years. 

I can't attack the plotline because it's a recount of peoples' lives. What I can say is, the story flowed smoothly enough, covering how the group formed and eventually disbanded and the somewhat stereotyped yet, imaginable truth backstage when you're in a band of hormonal girls in the 70s with a very irritating producer: Sex and Drugs.
Lovely wouldn't be the right word, nevertheless it was lovely to see Ms. Fanning play a more daring and crazy - should I say, grown-up role? The difficult thing about child actors is sometimes you don't want them to grow up, which made seeing Dakota on stage stripped down to her underwear very intriguing. She's quite the singer too.
Kristen Stewert on the other hand, almost gained my respect. Almost. I think she's been listening to me harangue her inability to act because she molded herself into her character and channelled Joan Jett well. I even forgot she was that irritating Bella girl but in the last 2 minutes, she reminded me why I hate her so. Take note the lost glance, awkward breathing and chronic blinking.
Otherwise, you have a so-so-directed movie. Floria Sigismondi captures the atmosphere of being on stage into a bottle then smashes it in your face however it was emotionally crippled. The movie tells the tale of people who are both victims and heroes but neither side tugged at the heartstrings enough to spark awe nor sympathy.
Story: C
Acting: B-
Directing: C
Visuals: C
Average: C

- Messer Girl

2 comments:

  1. awww man. those werent too bitter remarks, makes me want to go watch the movie haha! I'm hesitant because of kristen stew but sometimes I feel like joan jett flows the same way (personality wise, not the chronic blinking awkward breathing) but I dont know. haha! I originally thought dakota would be great for the role. though I do not wanna watch them kiss. eugh.

    and.....kstew was in ZATHURA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hesitant too, and I was surprised. Not too exciting yet not a complete waste of time. On the other hand, the kiss was not alluring...at all.

    And yes, she was in Zathura, I didn't know until years after. She was the frozen girl in the shower whose best scenes were of her screaming the wits outta herself.

    ReplyDelete